The new intake block plate looks great. As always, LCE Engineering delivers.
New Block Plate
New and Old Plate
Cleaning the old silicone off took the most time, next to removing the manifold with the carburetor on it. Drained half my coolant before disconnecting all my hoses. Drained the remaining coolant and gas from the carburetor by holding it upside down for a minute or so. Let it set overnight and reinstalled all the hoses and vacuum lines. Only had to replace the front facing part of the intake gasket (around the coolant passage) since i used silicone there.
So it turns out the metal coolant plate under the stock intake isn’t a very good design. it’s a dissimilar metal from The Aluminum Intake and it looks like it’s Stamped Out of sheet metal and coated in zinc. I cleaned mine since it was super corroded and thought I could reuse it but apparently it needs to be replaced. The paper gasket and silicone didn’t seem to do much, even after tightening it up when the engine was warm.
LCE Engineering makes an Aluminum 9 Bolt Block Plate version which I’m probably going to replace it with. The picture below shows the stock one leaking. Since it was stamped and not a solid plate the hardware isn’t easy to get to.
I’m just glad in the rebuild process this is the only problem I’ve had so far.